Corruption takes many forms. Some more studied and subtle than others.
The most common form of corruption is that practiced by the likes of Brian Mulroney in which cash is exchanged for influence peddling. Stephen Harper’s attempt to bribe Chuck Cadman is another good example of this form of corruption
Then there is the form of corruption known as intellectual corruption. A good example of this would be the fraudulent notion advanced by Mark Carney that income trusts cause tax leakage. Jim Flaherty wasn’t the architect of this fraudulent concept, since it predated his arrival as Finance Minister, as Mark Carney had previously tried to hoist this false notion on Ralph Goodale in Mark’s first attempt to set the world straight for all of Goldman Sach’s best clients. Jim Flaherty was however a very eager and willing accessory-after-the-fact to the notion that income trusts cause tax leakage in what can be best described as Tax Unfairness 2.0
Then there is the third form of corruption, what I term as tangential corruption. This is a form of corruption in which the sun always seems to be shining in the place where the instigator is standing, and it isn't the result of serendipity.
Tangential corruption is also known as pigs feeding at the trough or pork barrel politics. Usually it is practiced with some finesse. However such is not the case with Jim Flaherty. To get ahead in society, one can do no better than to be a cohort of the Flaherty family circumstances. Cohort being defined as a group of persons similarly aligned. Oh to be the parent of a child in private school.
Better it is to be the parent of a child affected by developmental difficulties than childhood leukemia, since the former is a cohort of the Flaherty’s in a way that the latter is not. The former gets special tax dispensation in the way that the latter does not.
Jim Flaherty is the ultimate ambulance chaser.
I wrote about this very thing back in May of last year in a piece entitled The Self Benevolent Tax Policies of Jim Flaherty
Many more data points have since been observed, and this thesis is in need of an update. As such I ask the questions:
- Was it not strange that Jim Flaherty as Ontario’s Treasurer introduced tax credits for private school just as his children were entering private school?
- Was it not strange that Jim Flaherty as Finance Minister introduced income splitting for seniors, however just those with pension income like himself?
- Was it not strange the Jim Flaherty as Finance Minister introduced the Registered Disability Savings Plan, and tax deductible contributions of up to $200,000, for persons just like himself and his family?
- Is it not strange that Jim Flaherty was going to resurrect the Ottawa to Whitby-Oshawa Via train service, even though it was considered highly uneconomic, yet beneficial to him?
- Is it not strange that the cars and trucks produced in the Oshawa assembly plants are free from the his Green Levy and yet could hardly be considered to be fuel efficient?
- And is it not highly suspicious that the recently introduced $45 million program to fund those with disabilities is tailor made for his his wife’s pet project?. This whole program was contrived, both in scope and timing, to be yet another bespoke tax policy to feather the Flahertys’ nest.
Meanwhile, here is a lead that some enterprising journalist may wish to track down. I am told that while Flaherty was part of the Mike Harris's Ontario Cabinet that a number of schools across the province were deemed redundant, including one in Whitby. This property was purchase from the province by Flaherty’s wife after the town declared it had no interest in purchasing the property. One year later, I am told, the town had a change of heart and purchased the land portion of the school from Flaherty’s wife at a price equal to what she paid for the land and the building, leaving her with zero investment and the sole owner of the building. No doubt land registry office records could verify or deny the veracity of this story.
This building was converted by Flaherty's wife from a school to a center for handicapped children.
Is this the project into which these federal funds will now flow? Who owns the facility itself that will receive federal funding? Flaherty's wife? Inquiring minds need to know.
Friday, April 11, 2008
Posted by Fillibluster at 9:58 AM