Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fact checking Flaherty's lies....BTW where's Jim's proof of tax leakage?




Reality Check
Date: September 28, 2008
Flaherty's callous attitude on his income trusts betrayal



ISSUE:

Yesterday while campaigning in his riding of Whitby-Oshawa, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said of his income trust betrayal:

"It's an issue with some of the Bay Street people still, but it hasn't come up here." (Canadian Press, September 28, 2008)

REALITY:

Tell that to:



. Retiree Roland Marin of Montreal, who lost about $25,000.

"I have a lot of (investments in income trusts). They all went down." (Montreal Gazette, November 2, 2006)


. Retirees David and Lorraine Marshall of Cornwall, who lost about $100,000.

"The big thing is they lied to us. I worked for the candidate here, putting lawn signs up and all those things based on this one issue, income trusts." (Toronto Star, November 2, 2006)

. Retiree Richard Milne of Toronto, who lost $50,000.

"They reneged on their promise. That really upsets me." (Toronto Star, November 2, 2006)

. Former janitor Ron Cann, who lost about $18,000 - more than he earns in a year.

"I saved it over the years. I didn't have children. I'm kind of a frugal guy. I make my own wine and beer at home. I just get by. Losing whatever it's going to be at the end of the day, $15,000-$18,000 - it's going to hurt." (Toronto Star, November 2, 2006)

. Laid-off worker Noel Chaney of Vancouver Island, who lost about $65,000 and had to consider selling his home.

"I couldn't live on my pension, it's not enough. I never even considered the possibility of leaving this house. Now I'm thinking it might be something I have to think about." (Toronto Star, November 2, 2006)

. Ken Fast of Brampton, a pilot on medical disability who borrowed money to buy income trusts and had been using the dividends to make ends meet.

"My working career might be over. With these income trusts I had been able to generate enough steady income over the past four years that I have been independent. All of a sudden this is being taken away from me." (Toronto Star, November 2, 2006)

. Bob McKittrick of Prince Edward County, who lost about $250,000 for his 91-year-old mother. (Toronto Star, November 2, 2006)



-30-



Contact:



Liberal Party of Canada Press Office

613-783-8888

1 comment:

Dr Mike said...

Tell that to Mary & Michael Popovich of Rodney Ontario who are still fighting to regain the capital losses.

We were both life-long Conservative supporters who were stunned by the 2006 announcement to tax trusts.

We were assured locally & federally that this would not happen as late as August 2006 when we decided to make our first purchase.

Talk about a right-handed kick to the groin --we are still reeling.

Thanks Jim for nothin!!!!!!!

Dr Mike Popovich.